Beppu (別府) is located in southern part of Kyushu Island, Japan. The city is well known for Spas, Resorts and Natural Hot spring in Japanese called ONSEN (温泉), are a treat to visitors! If you are in Kumamoto and planning to visit Beppu. Then, here are all the tips you’ll need to know for your first visit to Beppu from Kumamoto.
How to get in: Public Transport
There are various way to go to Beppu from Kyushu, like Fukuoka, Kumamoto. Here I am going to tell you “how to access from Kumamoto-Beppu”?
There is only “Kyushu Odan Bus (九州横断バス)” that connect Kumamoto-Beppu. You can ride the bus from Kumamoto Sta. The one way trip between Kumamoto to Beppu takes around 5 hours (cost 4500 Yen) in the lap of nature. For online booking Click…
Tourist may choose a window seat and just feel the breathtaking Nature from Aso Sta. to Beppu. What a romantic sight!
The Kyushu Odan Bus depart from Kumamoto Sta. and goes via Kumamoto City, Kumamoto Airport, Aso Sta. Kurokawa and Yufuin. Here is a list of Bus-stop & for more details click here…
⇨ Depart from Kumamoto Sta.
⇨ Depart from Kumamoto Kotsu Center
⇨ Depart from Kumamoto Airport
⇨ Depart from Aso Sta.
⇨ Arrive at Beppu Sta
- Kumamoto – Beppu: 4,500 Yen / Person
- Aso Kumamoto Airport – Beppu: 4,500 Yen / Person
- Aso Sta. – Beppu: 3,700 Yen / Person
The city has most hot-springs than any other city of Japan. Takegawara Hot-spring is the first hot-spring founded in 1879, later re-constructed in 1938. Apart from hot-springs, there are Rope-way, Sand Bath, Beppu Park, Onsen Food and more..
Beppu has full of natural hot springs, resorts the attracts visitors. It has variety of pools including an indoor bath, a wooden tub, outdoor bath with amazing view of Sun-set, nature.
Hells of Beppu:
Hells of Beppu are 8 natural hot-spring and all are known for their uniqueness but all have wonderful view of nature. More details Click..
The name of Hells of Beppu are;
- Umi Jigoku is know as See Hell a turquoise blue color hot-spring.
- Chi-no-ike Jigoku is known as Blood Pond Hell a red color hot-spring.
- Tatsumaki Jigoku is known as Spout Hell a hot geyser type hot-spring.
- Shira-ike Jigoku is know as White Pond Hell a white bluish hot-spring.
- Oniishi-bozu Jigoku is known as Oniishi Mud Hell.
- Yama Jigoku is known as Mountain Hell for animal attraction.
- Oniyama Jigoku is known as Monster Hell for crocodiles.
- Kamado Jigoku is known as Cooking Pot Hell cook snacks.
Beppu Beach Sand Bath:
Beppu tour is not completed without experiencing the sand bath. Most of the hotels and resorts offer hot sand bath. So don’t forget to try it.
OMG! What a thrilling experience, standing 1,375 m high. The hill of mt. Tsurumi offers a stunning view of the Beppu and Kuju Mountain.
The cost is 1000 Yen/person and discount fare is 1,600 Yen. More details Click..
- Footbath (足湯): Most of the hotel, resorts and shops offer it free. Ashiyu is a Japanese which means hot spring for feet. You can find it in the city by (足湯), (あしゆ) symbols on the flags. Hare are some lists..
Beppu is a treasure of foods and specially Onsen Foods. Onsen Foods are boiled in natural hot spring. Actually, Beppu is rich of hot spring and local people used it in agriculture and cooking food. Many restaurants and hotels offers eggs, sweet potato, corn, fish and more which cooked in hot-spring.
If you are in Japan and tired with your daily life, then you must visit Beppu “City of natural hot springs”. Stay there for at least 1 night, if you can stay for 2 nights and enjoy the best Hot-spring of Japan with your hubbies.
Hope it will help you in traveling from Kumamoto to Beppu and how to enjoy there! Have a nice journey!